2008 Darwin Award Nominee – bloke in his shed

I love this time of year when the Darwin awards come out, ok I missed it by a month, but what the wossname.

If you are not aware of them, the awards are in their words “A Chronicle of Enterprising Demises Honoring those who improve the species…by accidentally removing themselves from it! ”

Anyway this one is for a sheddie, so not great news.


A 71-year-old pensioner met a shocking end when his frugal attempt to illuminate his yard with power siphoned from the National Grid backfired spectacularly.

The gentleman in question illegally opened a major power junction box at the front of his house, intending to hard-wire a cable to his garden shed. Unfortunately, the poor chap attempted to do this rewiring during a major downpour.

The fatal result was all too predictable. He was immediately deep fried and declared deceased at the scene.

1–Don’t hardwire your shed to a local power substation
2–Don’t hardwire your shed to a power line… in the rain!
3–There _is_ such a thing as being too frugal.

By Andrew Wilcox

I love sheds Founder & judge of Shed of the year - Wilco writes mainly about sheds. About the blog Enter your shed into #shedoftheyear