Pensioner injures child with explosive shed booby trap

According to the local

A 14-year-old boy injured by a pensioner’s homemade booby trap returned home from the hospital on Wednesday, police in Dillenburg-Manderbach in the state of Hesse told The Local on Wednesday.

A 78-year-old garden lot owner installed the device at the entry to his garden shed as a protection against thieves, but decided against locking the door, police said.

The retiree’s young victim was playing hide-and-seek with friends in the area when he climbed a fence to hide in the shed on Sunday. But he failed to see the warning hung in the window and was injured by a gunpowder explosion when he opened the door. The boy sustained facial burns and an eye injury which put him in the hospital for three nights.

By Andrew Wilcox

I love sheds Founder & judge of Shed of the year - Wilco writes mainly about sheds. About the blog Enter your shed into #shedoftheyear